Q: car makes loud noise at start up

I started my car today and when it started it was very loud . Like a loud grinding. I open the hood and the noise was coming from the front of the engine more by the belt and water pump. I drove it down the st and it shut off on me . It starts right back up but will eventually shut off. My oil gauge dropped to low and doesn’t rise when my car is on. I put oil in the car about a week ago and it was fine. I checked the oil dipstick and it’s pretty dark and kinda thick but not wth dirt. I put the oil in between my fingers and it was liquid just dark. Check engine light just came on

Hi Drew. Thanks for the question. First, the engine oil should probably be changed by a professional mechanic. This will allow them to inspect the oil and filter to see if there is any contaminant in the oil (like coolant or water) which can indicate a rather serious problem. In regards to the noise, it’s likely that either the serpentine belt, belt pulley or the tensioner is damaged or wearing out. It could also be the water pump. Since there are so many possible sources, I think it’s best to have a professional mechanic come to your location to locate the exact source of the noise, so the right repairs can be made.