Q: Brand new timing belt broke what could be the impact on my engine

asked by on August 15, 2016

I had a brand new timing belt, water pump, belt tensioner, etc., put on my 2004 volvo s60 2.5t. One week after doing so the timing belt broke while driving down the highway. I am concerned what might have happened to my engine as a result of this.

The engine in your vehicle is labeled as an interference engine. This label means that when the timing belt drive system experiences a failure, there is an almost 100% chance the valvetrain suffered a great deal of damage. This possibility increases if the vehicle is moving under power, especially on the highway. I have not heard of many cases where the belt was replaced again with good results. If you want to get this looked at, a local expert from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the car and advise you on what to do next.