Q: Brand new timing belt broke what could be the impact on my engine

I had a brand new timing belt, water pump, belt tensioner, etc., put on my 2004 volvo s60 2.5t. One week after doing so the timing belt broke while driving down the highway. I am concerned what might have happened to my engine as a result of this.

A: The engine in your vehicle is labeled as an...

The engine in your vehicle is labeled as an interference engine. This label means that when the timing belt drive system experiences a failure, there is an almost 100% chance the valvetrain suffered a great deal of damage. This possibility increases if the vehicle is moving under power, especially on the highway. I have not heard of many cases where the belt was replaced again with good results. If you want to get this looked at, a local expert from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the car and advise you on what to do next.