Q: Car cranks, but doesn't start

My car won't start. It has lights and all that, and it makes the noise like it wants to turn over, but it just won't start.

A: Hello. A no start problem can be caused by ...

Hello. A no start problem can be caused by a number of things. If it makes a noise like it wants to turn over, but doesn't, then the starter may be bad or it can be a failure in the engine. A mechanic would typically start by checking the easiest part of the system, the battery. If the battery is fine then they would typically move to the engine. To determine if the engine is the problem a mechanic would crank the engine over by hand at the crank pulley. If it can be moved then it may have a starter that has failed. A voltage meter would be needed to test this. I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your starting issue to inform you on what needs repair.