Q: Volvo s40key was stuck won't crank clicking from fuse box

asked by on August 18, 2017

Drove our volvo s40 yesterday no issues cranking after 4 stops get to 5th stop get out lock the car go in came back unlocked doors put key in ignition tried cranking and got nothing tried to take the key out and reinsert the key was stuck between position heard a clicking sound from fuse box and key released. Tried several more times interior/dash lights come on put key in and lose all lights. Got out of car and doors locked on their own finally get doors unlocked Last try cranking and key stuck in position 1&2 again tow truck loads it up a mile down the road wipers come slow at first then full blast we stop down the road he tried to crank and everything shut down again. Get car home check fuses/relays nothing tried the door clicker 5x thing security light blinked and chirped but still nothing.

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

It may be that you have low system voltage. That might be because of a dead battery, or it might be because of an interruption in the power distribution. But since everything is computer controlled these days, if the system voltage drops below a certain point, usually about 10 volts, you start to get really strange behaviors from all parts of the car. If the charging system is not functioning you can drive the car for a few hours and even restart it a few times before the battery voltage will drop off enough to cause you problems. I’m not recommending you try jumping the car off. That can cause you additional problems if everything is not just so. I’m suggesting you have the car checked out by a pro before making the next decision. You can have that done at your convenience by contacting Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your Volvo and let you know what it will take to fix it.