Q: Car loses power, cannot start. 2002 Mercedes-Benz CL500

Several months ago, I was driving the car and it started losing power. After I got home, I wasn't able to restart the car. The AA had the diagnostics run. There was a misfiring of the first and second cylinders. So, I had the coil pack replaced. However, the car continued to run the same way as if it had no fuel. I consulted a Mercedes pro. He told me that the car runs that way because the fuel pump doesn't give enough pressure. I had the fuel pump replaced. Now, the car has been sitting for a longer while and I cannot start it or jump it. What might be the cause of this?

Hello there, misfires are a common fault on cars as they get older such as the 2002 Mercedes CL500. Many different faults can cause the misfires such as the spark plugs, coil packs, fuel injectors, fuel pump, MAF sensor, oxygen sensors, vacuum leaks, crankshaft or camshaft sensors. With the vehicle not starting at all, the fault is slightly harder to diagnose but still able to be done. Many of the faults listed above could eventually cause the vehicle to not start like yours is currently doing. The first thing I look at in any misfire and no start condition is the battery condition then check for fuel, air, and spark. These are the basics of what keeps the engine running properly and one of them will have a fault. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the misfire condition and perform any repairs required.

3. Car loses power, cannot start. 2002 Mercedes-Benz CL500