Q: Car is puttering after driving in too high a gear. Stick Shift

asked by on June 21, 2017

To start, plugs are new, ignition coils are new, and icm is new. MAF is in good condition. I take very good care of this vehicle. So, it s a 2006 Saturn Ion. 2.2L. I was teaching my girlfriend how to drive stick in it. She didn t stall, but accidentally bucked it pretty good by being in too high of a gear a few times. The last time this happened the check engine light began flashing and the engine began vibrating and puttering from misfiring. It seems to resolve around 4000+rpm. No rattling that would be indicative of a timing chain. It obviously has lost a great deal of power from the misfiring. Almost feels like it's running on 2 cylinders. I have no idea what this could be.

Car idle is rough Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. A situation like you’ve described could be caused by a sensor that has become loose or the electrical harness connected to it has fallen off. It’s also common for an ignition coil pack to become loose when the engine shakes aggressively. To reduce chasing this type of repair, it’s probably best to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location to complete an engine idle is rough inspection, so they can isolate the source of this problem and recommend the right repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr