Q: I can't shift my car into drive or reverse.

asked by on December 28, 2015

Car won't move in drive or reverse.

Transmission fluid is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, the first thing to check on any car that has a transmission dipstick is to check the transmission level. If the transmission level is too low, the transmission won’t engage in any gear. In a situation like this, don’t worry about the transmission temperature. If you don’t see anything on the dipstick, add fluid to get it read at the lowest level, then see if the transmission will engage. If you had to add fluid there is a good chance you have a leak, which should be repaired. Now, if the level is correct there could be a mechanical failure internal to the transmission. Known internal problems are the torque converter and the shaft that engages the torque converter. You may need to have the car looked at in a transmission shop.