Q: 1990 Subaru Legacy 2.2L code 35. Replaced purge solenoid valve. Idles fine. while driving any speed randomly shuts off. 1992 Subaru Legacy

Idles fine cel code 35. Stalls randomly while driving. Was jumping,shaking once. Now just quits. I hear my fuel pump running. No smell of gas.connectors are good. Replaced purge solenoid valve. Fairly new fuel filter,spark plugs.

Hello - the first thing to check is whether the code 35 has cleared, and whether any codes remain. As you mention, Code 35 is a failure with the evaporative emissions purge valve circuit. Since you have replaced the valve, any remaining code 35 might indicate a wiring or connector issue with the purge valve (we will assume the new valve is a good one). The "sudden shut off" may be due to something else that isn’t leaving a code - like a failing crankshaft position sensor. Without it, your engine has not ignition timing. It may fail hot, but work again when it cools off (for a while). Checking for spark at the plugs when it shuts off would be a useful diagnostic step. I recommend a stalling inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. 1990 Subaru Legacy 2.2L code 35. Replaced purge solenoid valve. Idles fine. while driving any speed randomly shuts off. 1992 Subaru Legacy