Q: Car key remote is not working

Car key remote is not working and when the door is opened manually the alram doesnt stop.hence, removed the one fuse from the bonnet and it stopped. But when I start the car the alaram keep on. How to sort it out.Thanks Pontie

A: There are two tricks for resetting an alarm...

There are two tricks for resetting an alarm without a key fob. When the alarm sounds, lock and unlock the door locks with the key three times in a row. Try both the driver and passenger doors as well as the trunk lid. If this doesn't work, disconnect the negative battery cable, put the key in the ignition, turn the key to the run position, and connect the negative battery cable with the key still in the run position.

The alarm control module monitors the door switches and lock positions of each door. If one of these has failed in someway, you can end up in the situation you described. A simple method for checking door open/close switches is to open each door and see if the door ajar light on the dash responds. You will need the ignition to be in the on position while performing this test. Begin with all the doors shut and open only one door at a time. If all the doors are closed and the door ajar light is still on, then there is a problem with one of the door switches.

The trunk lid and the hood both have switches as well. The best method for testing these is with a professional scanner (note that this is not same as the code readers you can find in your local auto parts store). With this scan, you will also be able to retrieve any codes in the system. These will often, but not always, tell you what is wrong.

If you should require further assistance, I would recommend contacting an experienced technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you out and diagnose your alarm problem. Good luck!