Q: Engine bogs down

asked by on May 12, 2016

A few days ago while going uphill, I heard a pop and had a hard time accelerating. My engine seemed like it was bogging down, which has gotten worse. It happens only when accelerating. My mechanic replaced the distributor cap, rotor, fuel pump and filter, plugs, wires, powertrain control module, intake manifold, radiator, water pump (I think that's the list) and none of that has helped. Can you believe it!! What should I do next?

The ignition timing may have jumped, causing the timing to be off. The ignition timing will need to be checked to see if the camshaft timing jumped. If the timing is not the cause, then check to see if the catalyst is blocking the exhaust. A mechanic will know how to check to see if the engine is getting exhaust excessive back pressure. If this is the case, then the catalyst will need replaced. I’d recommend a certified mechanic check out your vehicle however, they will be able to confirm my suspicions and find the right fix for your engine problem.