Q: What causes a DTC P0010 to come up and how easy/difficult is it to repair?

My mom was driving her terrain running errands and when she started up and started to drive away, it died out and wouldn't start. she had to have it towed home. I plugged in my scan tool and it came up with DTC P0010. A camshaft position sensor - open circuit bank 1. Can you tell me what part is faulty and needs to be replaced? My dad always used to fix the family vehicles but he died from cancer a couple of months ago. Thank you!

The code P0010 is for a problem with the intake camshaft sensor. The camshaft sensor is common to have to be replaced to fix the no start condition. The sensor is on the front of the engine on front timing cover inline with intake camshaft. If you use a scanner to monitor data and watch the camshaft sensor for the intake cam for an rpm reading when cranking. If you do not have a reading then replace sensor and retest system after clearing codes.

• What causes a DTC P0010 to come up and how easy/difficult is it to repair?