Q: Car is making unusual sounds - 2004 Chevrolet Impala

The car is making sounds like a lawn motor. Appears to be coming from the passenger side of the hood. It is only heard when the engine is idle. When the car is in park it is the loudest, then changes when in reverse, & again when in drive.

A: Hello, the engine position is such that all...

Hello, the engine position is such that all the rotating components are located on the passenger side of vehicle area. There is a coolant pump, alternator, pulleys, and a power steering pump that require a belt to rotate them. The noise could be generated from these components.

The process of elimination is the way to diagnose the issue. This involves removing the belt and checking if the noise is gone; if not, it would be an internal noise within the engine. A certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can come to your location to determine the source of the engine noise.