I've got a 2012 Fiat 500 sport. Yesterday it started fine...

I've got a 2012 Fiat 500 sport. Yesterday it started fine, I went in reverse but it wouldn't accelerate when I got to the street. Now it starts but there's nothing going on with the rpms when you hit the gas pedal Mechanic's A...

I've got a 2012 Fiat 500 sport. Yesterday it started fine, I went in reverse but it wouldn't accelerate when I got to the street. Now it starts but there's nothing going on with the rpms when you hit the gas pedal Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded? It starts, but there's no rev when you push the gas pedal Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fiat 500 yourself? What have you tried so far? Why would I, IT STARTS Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you? No, I'll have to get a mechanic, but I don't want to overpay, since it's a fiat.

Automotive Expert
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* I will be the expert to assist you today. I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your Fiat I know how frustrating it can be. Because I am not there I may need to ask questions in order to provide the best possible service. You mention it starts and runs fine but the pressing the accelerator does nothing. Does the vehicle seem to move if shifted into gear?

Yesterday I put it in reverse and 1st gear onto the road, but I didn't get far. I had the pedal to the medal and it barely made it back to my driveway. I started it this morning but it doesn't rev up so now it won't stay runningThe engine light is on too. It drove perfectly fine on Tuesday
Automotive Expert
Do you have access to a Fiat compatible Scan Tool? You'll need to know the DTC and which Module it's in, in order to properly diagnose it and not just throw parts at it. We don't want the mechanic to guess at your expense.

I'm either taking it to my moms mechanic, who will likely change me at least $500 or to the dodge dealership, cause they [sell](/topics-sell/) those Fiats, I wouldn't go to a shade tree mechanicThe dealership will be expensiveAlso, I don't know what any of the above stuff you said means, so you lost me on, do I have a tool
Automotive Expert
Understand, it's hard today with Computer Controlled vehicles. I would suggest the Dodge dealer because as you indicated they sell and service them and they should stand behind their work. There are a couple of things I would ask them to check. Your vehicle is equipped with a system called BTO (Brake Throttle Override) and what this does is it causes the vehicle to go into "Limp Mode" if you try to depress the accelerator and while also applying the brakes.

you're saying I should try that brake and accelerator?You said a couple of things?
Automotive Expert
The last item is a Recall. Fiat recalled the 500 in 2012-2013 for a Transmission issue. (Described below) if this is the issue then it will be repaired for free (Dealers are required to perform recalls at no charge to the customer) I wish you the best of luck with the repair. Please keep me updated with the results.

Thanks so much!
Automotive Expert
No do not drive with a foot on the accelerator and the brake, it will cause issues.

lol, I wouldn't do thatBut thank you
Automotive Expert
**Recall Information;** **Vehicles recalled:** Certain Fiat 500 hatchbacks with automatic transmissions manufactured from December 2, 2010 through January 30, 2013. **The problem:** The connector at the end of the cable that joins the shift lever to the transmission, called a transmission cable bushing, can deteriorate. If it fails, drivers may notice that it’s significantly easier to move the shift lever, and that the shift lever may not show the same gear position that the vehicle is in. **The fix:** Fiat dealers will replace the transmission cable bushing with a new one made of a more durable material. **How to contact the manufacturer:** Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), the parent company of Fiat, will begin notifying owners of affected vehicles in January 2020. Owners may also contact FCA customer service at 1-\*\*\*-\*\*\*-\*\*\*\*. Fiat’s own number for this recall is VB4. **NHTSA campaign number:** 19V817