Q: Clutch slave cylinder is most likely bad. Will refilling the brake fluid help?

I filled my brake fluid reservoir 2 days ago and it is now empty, my clutch has no resistance whatsoever and im pretty sure its the slave cylinder. Would just filling the brake fluid/ clutch fluid reservoir temporarily fix it just so i could drive a couple miles to the shop or do i need to bleed the system before doing so?

Hi there. Most of the time, if the fluid is empty, it will have pulled in enough air to keep the clutch system from working. You can try adding fluid, but, when you press the pedal, the air will compress which will keep the clutch from disengaging. Bleeding it will help, but that may not even hold for that long depending on if the leak is at the clutch master or slave cylinder.

If you want to have this clutch leak fixed, consider a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair the leak.

• Clutch slave cylinder is most likely bad. Will refilling the brake fluid help?