Q: Car engine recently overheated 2006 Ford Focus

asked by on March 08, 2017

Recently I got my windscreen broken and side panels ripped. A Smash Repairer replace the windscreen and side panels.

On recovery of the car when I drove, engine over heated warning light illuminated. It happened twice and then I tried to notice how and when it happens.

I realised when I turn the aircon on, thatz when engine temperature shoots up and over heats the engine.

also, then I tried to feel any change/noise around engine. I heard some sort of gas releasing noise around the compressor. The compressor pulley runs and then stops and then few seconds later, starts running for few secs and stops and continue the same cycle.

a) Is it normal - the compressor pulley runs, stops and run ..?

b) its only happening when I turn on aircon? What might be the problem?

c) nothing was damange except side panels ripped and windscreen broken. Is it a possiblity that Smash Repairer done UNINTENTIONAL damage while taking side panels off and then back on?

Please help

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - yes, it is normal for the AC compressor to cycle on and off. If it is doing this frequently however, like every 10-15 second or so, this can be an indication that the refrigerent level is low in your AC system, and needs to be charged. Turning on the AC means that the "cooling air" coming across the radiator is warmer than it was, making it more difficult for the radiator to disperse engine heat, regardless how fast you are moving. With your extended mileage, your radiator probably needs to be professionally cleaned, or replaced to return it’s efficiency, and eliminate overheating. For further diagnosis, I recommend an overheating inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr