Q: Cannot shift from Park : have to use override-trick of pulling on shift lever while turning key.

It's actually a 1999 Town Car. This problem occurred before and some small electrical component behind the ignition key was replaced at that time which cured the problem. But I have the same issue again and I can't remember the name of the component that was replaced the last time around. That's what I'd like to know, actually, the name of that part. Could you please find out for me what that component might have been?

The shift lock actuator is actuated when you push on the brakes. If the brake lights do not work then it will not release the shift lock. Check the brake lights to make sure they work properly. If they do not then you may need to replace the brake light switch. The wiring at the switch connector to the brake light switch may be broken.

If you need help with getting this fixed, seek help from a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic. They’ll be able to diagnose your shifting issue firsthand and help you make the necessary repairs.

3. Cannot shift from Park : have to use override-trick of pulling on shift lever while turning key.