Q: I was thinking about buying a 2000 land rover discovery and read a few reviews. Maintenance and gas mileage were the to biggies.

asked by on March 10, 2017

I need to know if there are a lot of mechanical problems with the 2000 Land Rover Discovery. I need a reliable SUV, and I love the style of this vehicle.

If it’s reliability and low maintenance you want, you’d better look past the Land Rover. It’s a shame, because they are really cool cars, but they are very expensive to maintain and are prone to failures. As much as I like to drive them, I would never consider owning one myself. Frankly, for reliability and low maintenance, you can’t beat the Japanese. Their cars don’t have the cool factor of the Land Rover, but they will get you home. Whatever you choose, you would do well to get a pre-purchase inspection from Your Mechanic. They will send a technician to the location of the seller or the place of your choosing to check out your prospective purchase and let you know whats right and what’s wrong with the car.