Q: can a transmission suddenly stop working without warning??

I bought this vehicle for $700 and the next day the check engine light came on. The following day I too it to a friend who had a diagnostic computer and read transmission slipping. One week to the day, the transmission failed. The day following my purchase, I had put in a passenger window and the day of diagnostic used I paid mechanic and parts, so I'm into the vehicle for $1,200, plus a tow!!! I truly feel Luke the kid who sold it to me knew or should have known about the tranny going and wasn't truthful about the cars condition. Is there anyway I can prove that? Any car I've ever had always showed telltale signs of slipping well before it died. The car sat for a while, according to the kid and it had a slight oil leak. I guess what would help to know is "generally speaking" would there be signs of transmission trouble before it dies?? I've never heard of a transmission just failing so suddenly. Should I take him to court?? I need some serious help. I dont make a lot n now have no c

A: Unless you have proof that the previous own...

Unless you have proof that the previous owner had the vehicle in for transmission problems before then it would be hard to prove anything. A vehicle may sit for a while and then start having problems also. The transmission will cost more than what you paid for the vehicle to get repaired. This is most likely why it was being sold.

It's usually best to have trained professional perform a pre-purchase inspection done on any used car you're considering buying to ensure that you are aware of the condition of the car. If you want to have the car inspected now, you may consider having a certified expert from YourMechanic come to your car's location to diagnose your slipping issue and advise you on how to move forward.