Q: I have to tap the gas pedal to get my car started.

asked by on December 22, 2015

My car will not start unless I tap the gas pedal while turning the ignition key. I replaced the throttle body, thinking that was the issue, but it did not fix the problem.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

This could possibly be an issue with your Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor or MAP sensor. This sensor monitors the pressure inside the engines intake manifold. This pressure changes when the throttle is depressed. Perhaps the sensor is only reading a correct pressure to start the engine when the throttle is fully depressed. I would recommend having a professional check your car for trouble codes with an OBD2 scanner. Once trouble codes are found the problem will be easier to diagnose.