Q: Black soot and bad smell coming from the heater vents.

asked by on November 27, 2016

Ok so after turning off my van and getting my good out of the back I want in and put away everything and went back to the van I noticed that the heater was on and it smelled like hot wires so I looked at the vents and black soot was coming from the vents and so I got the off botton on the heater and i started the van and turned on the heater and the smell came back and the heater has to be turned off by hand what is going on with my van and how do i fix

Cabin Air Filter Replacement $90.53 - $167.27 Get a Quote

Hi there. Sounds like the cabin air filter to the heating and a/c system is degrading and peeling apart. The stuff that is coming out into the cabin area is a filter full of dirt and debris. I recommend replacing the cabin air filter and the black sooty stuff will stop coming out. Old filters will make a bad odor in the cabin area, especially when the filter gets heated up.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr