Q: Can a bad pressure switch cause back pressure, enough to blow the pressure line?

Can a bad pressure switch cause back pressure, enough to blow the pressure line? There was gurgling noise in the reservoir. I put fluid in and capped it, then POP, and fluid everywhere.

Hello. In most cases a pressure switch can cause pressure to build up if it malfunctions, however that depends on the type of pressure switch and what system it is for. If you are referring to the cooling system then it may be possible that there is an issue with the cap that is not releasing properly, or possibly an obstruction in the cooling system, such as a thermostat that is stuck closed. It may also be possible that overheating is what caused the pressure to blow the line, however a proper diagnosis would be required to determine if that might be the case. As it appears that you could possibly be experiencing cooling system issues, if the problem persists I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to determine what may be causing the issue.

• Can a bad pressure switch cause back pressure, enough to blow the pressure line?