Q: Fuel gauge stopped working and now gas tank won't let me pump more than a few gallons at a time.

asked by on July 20, 2016

I have a 2003 Chevy Suburban (162,XXX miles) and a little over a month ago my gas gauge stopped working. Sometimes it would show it was full and then when I turn my car off and then turn it back on, it would read empty. The little pin inside the gauge would turn a complete circle. So I've just been watching how many miles I drive to keep track of how much gas I have in the tank. Then, about a week ago when I went to fill up, I wasn't able to pump more than 8 gallons in my 30 gallon tank. The nozzle kept clicking like it was full. But I know I was close to empty. Now everytime I go to put gas in, it will only let me pump a few gallons at a time. My fuel pump was replaced a little over a year ago. Any ideas what it could be?

Fuel Gauge Sender Replacement $125.41 - $1062.69 Get a Quote

The refueling problem is due to the fill pipe in the tank. The fill pipe has a smaller hose inside of the larger pipe which keeps you from overfilling the tank. If someone tried to siphon fuel from your vehicle or the small hose somehow came loose, it can cause the problem you are having. You should remove the fill pipe and inspect it for this problem.

From there you can decide if you want to fix it or have it replaced. The cluster would also need repair if the fuel gauge has the problem where the needle goes all the way around. If you decide to get this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can help you service your fuel gauge and inspect the issue with your fuel pipe. Good luck.