Q: Clunking sound when starting to move in first gear. 2002 Subaru

asked by on November 20, 2016

When starting from a stop in first gear there is a knocking coming from directly under the center console. Shifts fine, runs fine, all gears work, not losing power. Feels like something is slipping when starting out in 1st.

Universal Joint (U-joint) Replacement $89.27 - $475.86 Get a Quote

Hello - there is a flex disk joint on the driveshaft of your Subaru which connects to the transmission right about where the center console, and the noise you mention, are located. This flex disk deteriorates over time, due to the power and flex forces it has to endure. Given your mileage, I would recommend you have that flex disk replaced by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, and repair your vehicle. This will return smooth operation of your vehicle.