Q: Broken timing chain on 2003 Camry

My daughters 2003 Toyota Camry stopped running while driving on interstate. Had it towed to local shop and was told the timing chain broke. Mechanic said more than likely the motors shot. My question is can the motor be rebuilt or would it need to be replaced and what the approx cost might be for each situation. I've had a few people tell me that when the timing chain breaks there is no chance to repair/rebuild it. That it just turns into a big paper weight.....

In some applications where the motor is what is called an "interference motor" when the timing belt breaks, it usually does cause major engine damage. In your case, the timing chain issue does not necessarily cause the same type of damage. There are a number of things that can happen any time the timing components fail. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at the vehicle to diagnose the damage.

3. Broken timing chain on 2003 Camry