Q: transmission wont engage most of the time and when it does it wont shift past 2nd gear

asked by on May 15, 2017

the car drove fine yesterday, when i was on my way into work this morning it was acting funny right as i got to work (total of a 10 min drive). when i went to leave work, i got about 1/4 of a mile down the road and my car stopped going, the engine was still on but the transmission was not engaging, after turning the car off for about 5 min it would drive for about another 1/4 mile then do the same thing over again, i have put two qts of fluid in the trans, and the problem is still occurring. will a power flush most likely fix the issue or do i need to replace something more in depth?

Hello, thank you for writing in. Automatic transmissions can be very tricky and complex. A simple flush may not correct issues that have led to a leak. Being low on transmission fluid means there is a leak somewhere, and that would need to be addressed first. The lack of fluid is likely why you experienced issues in the first place, but other damage may have occurred after driving under those conditions. Other inspections and tests will need to be done in order to ensure the transmission is worth investing into at this point. They should include checking the fluid pan for metal shavings, and making sure the pump was not run dry. If there is no serious damage, locate and repair the leak. For more help with diagnostics and repairs, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.