Q: Glass shattered all on its own

When I was warming up my 2012 Ford Focus before work the other day, I turned on the defroster and the rear window exploded into a ton of little glass pieces. It made a huge mess and I had to find another way to get to work. I can’t drive in the cold without the window. Shame on Ford for making a defroster that could destroy the window! My car barely has 66,000 miles on it. Is there a way to ensure this won’t happen again??

The rear window with defrost grid on your Ford Focus is made of tempered glass. Tempered glass is designed to break into little pieces when it shatters to help prevent large pieces from possibly hurting someone. The temper process is supposed to allow the glass to handle hot and cold conditions without breaking. If the temper process did not release tension on the glass during this process, the glass may be prone to break when subjected to hot and cold conditions. The replacement glass installed should be okay and not prone to breaking, however there is no guarantee. There are no recalls or investigations with the NHTS however, there have been some complaints submitted. Until a recall is issued, you will have to pay to replace the window if it happens again.