Q: battery light is on, but car is running fine

asked by on April 29, 2017

My battery light is on. My car is running fine, does this mean that I have problems?

The red battery light on a car is there to indicate to the driver that the battery is not charging. This light normally comes on when the alternator is no longer functioning. I would recommend having the alternator output tested with a digital multimeter by a qualified professional. If the alternator is not producing at least 14 volts, the battery is not being sufficiently charged. If this is the case, I would recommend having your [alternator replaced](. Consider YourMechanic as your alternator can be replaced from your home or office.