Q: Battery died, jumped it, wouldn't start unless gas was pressed. Once gas was released, engine died.

Left my key in the ignition partially turned for around 24 hours. We jumped the car for about 20 minutes letting it sit for a while and all that. Tried giving the car gas and it would run until the gas was released, then the car died. We just replaced both the battery and the starter within the last two months.

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

It sounds like there may be a couple of possibilities here. If the battery died, this may have been a result of leaving the keys on or it may have been a result of the alternator or voltage regulator failing which would cause the battery to die and would also cause the motor to struggle to run if the charging system was not operating at its capacity.

The other possibility may be related to a faulty throttle position sensor. The throttle position sensor monitors the throttle position of the throttle plate inside the throttle body in relation to your foot position on the gas pedal. Based upon the inputs from the sensor reading your foot’s position on the pedal, the ECU then makes the direction to supply more or less fuel to the motor. When this sensor is not working properly, this can cause intermittent responses when pressing the gas pedal.

Another possibility may be a dirty or faulty idle control valve. The idle air control valve monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. This valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer and will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. This is also an important function when starting the motor as it allows the motor to run and idle on it’s own once the motor fires. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed with the help of the idle air control valve making the transition from a higher RPM back down to idle speed while adjusting the air/fuel ratio constantly to allow this to happen smoothly. When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of about 800 RPM, this often times will cause the engine to stall indicating a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Battery died, jumped it, wouldn't start unless gas was pressed. Once gas was released, engine died.