Q: Bad shifter cable. 2002 Lexus ES300

My car has been in a Geico "preferred" shop due to accident (whole left side of car) for 16 days (they had to redo everything at least once). Prior to accident, no known problems. After the accident, car would not start on 3 occasions, each time only in heavy rainfall, but jumper cables did the trick & still driveable. Advised it was likely exposed wires from mirror that was ripped off getting wet (electrical). Literally the day I'm supposed to pick it up, suddenly it won't start, diagnosed "shifter cable is bad, car doesn't think it's in park", won't be covered, is going to cost me $1200! Again, NO known issues prior to this, very coincidental that it "broke" under their care. Am disputing with Geico, they say wear and tear, but from what I've read, it would have specific symptoms leading up to if that's the case. Car has started up even after diagnosis. need help if this is 100% wear and tear, or could have been damaged in the shop. It seems way too sudden and coincidence

Hi there. When it comes to a vehicle getting in an accident and having issues with other components, this is a common problem that cannot be avoided at times. When the vehicle was looked at and quoted, the problem was not present and the insurance company is not in the business to fix all the problems that your car has - just the damage they seem to think was caused by the accident alone. The shifter cable is over 14 years old and may have been damaged by the accident, but it would be hard to prove unless something was bent or had physical damage to prove it. If you are skeptical about the diagnosis, you may want to have another expert inspect the shifter cable in person for a second opinion.

3. Bad shifter cable. 2002 Lexus ES300