Q: Are Cracked Hoses Repairable, or Should They Be Replaced?

Are cracked hoses repairable, or should they be replaced?

Cracked hoses are unsafe for the proper operation of your vehicle and should be replaced at your earliest convenience. There is no way to repair a worn hose, nor would you want to.

Hoses are designed to transfer engine coolant between the engine and the radiator. They’re also used to direct coolant to the heater core for use in the HVAC system. Cracks in hoses are signs of imminent hose rupture. This is not good. When a hose ruptures, it spews extremely hot engine coolant everywhere under the vehicle’s hood. The coolant can even be sprayed up onto your windshield, which can severely limit your visibility while driving. Depending on where you are at the time of the rupture, you can be stranded for hours before help arrives.

It is highly recommended to get your hoses inspected periodically and/or replaced for the health of your vehicle and the safety of your family. If you need help with this, a certified mechanic would happily assist you with replacing any of your worn or cracked hoses.