Q: A diagnostic test showed an issue with the fuel pump of my 2008 chevy Colorado; should I replace it?

The check engine light came on yesterday. A diagnostic test showed an issue with the fuel pump. I understand that replacing the gas cap will often fix the issue. The truck otherwise runs great. It also has less than 92,000 miles, and had a full engine replacement at 79,000. Should I replace the gas cap, or the fuel pump?

Hello. If the diagnostic showed an issue with the fuel pump such as low pressure or a voltage issue then the pump itself will more than likely need to be replaced. The fuel cap would cause there to be an issue with the fuel emissions system but not with the pump. I would need to know what codes came up to be able to tell you for sure what is going on. If you need to have the pump replaced, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [replace your fuel pump] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/fuel-pump-replacement

3. A diagnostic test showed an issue with the fuel pump of my 2008 chevy Colorado; should I replace it?