Q: Check engine light is on.

Where to begin. I bought my van through a private owner. Check engine light was on. Took it to a reliable mechanic and fixed the problem,light was off. A few days later,my radiator was leaking everywhere. Took to the same mechanic. In order to keep it cheap for me,he replaced the radiator and hoses. But rigged it so the fan stays on all the time which means the check engine light was back on. He told me it won't pass inspection and you have a year to get a newer car. Well I still have the van and I want to know if I take it back to the same mechanic,will he have to pass the emissions considering it was them who left the engine light on? Thanks Liz

First of all, a shop cannot let a vehicle leave the parking lot with the engine light on without your signature saying that you intend to leave with the light on. Second of all, the light might have been on for the cooling fans and the mechanic rigged the fans to get you on your way. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with your check engine light and stay away from that shop as they are performing shady work.