Q: Oil leak above oil pan - 1985 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

asked by on September 03, 2016

My car started leaking oil last week. So I finally took a look inside the engine, and it doesn’t appear to be coming from the oil pan. I was looking above that, and it’s coming from a plug kind of part. I’m not sure what it is. It started leaking really bad this week especially when I started the car. Can I fix this by tightening the plug, or should I get a new one? Thanks.

Oil Pan Replacement $258.67 - $1218.39 Get a Quote

Simply tightening this plug, whether it’s the oil pan drain plug, or another high pressure oil plug of some sort, may only stop the leak temporarily at best. It could also strip the threads. There will likely be a fiber, rubber or other material washer under the plug which needs to be replaced.

After, tighten the plug to the recommended torque. A professional mechanic, like YourMechanic, can check this out, make sure the right fluid sealing mechanism is in place, in good condition, and appropriately tightened.