Q: My car will cut out while driving (acceleration cuts out) & car will stop running

asked by on October 04, 2016

I can drive about 10 miles and then accelerate starts kicking and loss of power/driving begins. Have to pull over, rpms will shake down to 0 and engine cuts out. Just had tuneup done (distributor cap, spark plugs, wires replaced). Mechanic said could be computer issue if that didn't fix it. Issue occurred prior in winter time, but stopped once it got warm. Has only become issue again since mornings got colder/more rain/moisture. Problem is now a daily issue. Any thoughts?

Fuel Pump Replacement $120.92 - $1186.72 Get a Quote
Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. Being that this is a computer controlled vehicle this can be caused by a number of issues. From what you are explaining though it sounds like you have a fuel system problem. Most of the time this occurs if the fuel pump is overheating or if there is a circuit issue. It can be the computer also but that is not as common. One other common part that will fail is the main relay, as when it fails it will disconnect power from vital powertrain circuits and this will occur. I usually scan the computer for codes first to see if any issues show up. If not then I would use my scan tool to monitor all of the sensor readings to make sure that none of them are reading incorrectly. If all of those are fine, then I check the fuel pressure and the circuit to see if it is losing power from the relay and to see if the fuel pressure is dropping indicating a failing fuel pump. If you are going to have this stalling and power loss problem looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.