Q: Water disappears every few days then car runs hot if I don't keep water put in it.

asked by on October 13, 2016

My 2004 toyota camry is always low on coolant I refill it every few days because if I don't my car will run hot and I'm trying to see if the thermostat is bad or something else I still owe like 7000 on the car so if it's not something cheap do u think my best bet would be to trade it for a newer car

Thermostat Replacement $141.88 - $613.47 Get a Quote
Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hey there. This may very well be a sign of a bad thermostat or something else such as failing coolant fan relays.

As you may know, the thermostat regulates the flow of coolant in and out of the engine maintaining a consistent operating temperature. When the thermostat is faulty or stuck closed, this will cause the flow of coolant in and out of the engine to fail causing the engine to overheat.

This may also be caused by a failing coolant fan switch. As you may know the coolant fan switch helps to maintain the proper coolant temperature by turning on and off at specific temperature thresholds. When this switch is not working properly, this can cause the fans to come on intermittently, all the time or sometimes not at all. When this happens you will notice a temperature spike and drop occasionally as the fan comes on and off. To have this taken care of, I recommend having a certified professional from YourMechanic diagnose the overheating issue so that this can be repaired.