Q: My DPFE sensor burned up. What do you think caused this and will it do a new one the same way?

asked by on October 26, 2016

The car was losing power and just sounding funny that is when I found the burned up sensor.

Catalytic Converter Replacement $279.51 - $3103.51 Get a Quote
Exhaust System Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. The delta pressure feedback of EGR (DPFE) sensor was burned up for having too much back pressure on the engine.

A plugged catalytic converter or a plugged exhaust muffler will cause the engine to have excessive back pressure.

Also, a kink in the exhaust pipe will also cause excessive back pressure. As the pressure builds up, the engine exhaust temperature rises and will heat us the tubes that the DPFE registers and will cause it to melt. Put something on the end of the tail pipe and see if the engine exhaust will push it away.

If it does not push away or it is weak in force, then you may need the muffler or catalytic converter replaced. If you need further assistance diagnosing your exhaust system, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help pinpoint the problem and guide you with repairs.