Q: Car cannot start, shifter showing second gear

While I was driving, the engine accelerated so I parked the car. After that I tried to start it but it wouldn't. I attempted to restart it and as soon as the key was put into the on position in the ignition, I found that the shifter was showing second gear. What should I do?

A: Your symptoms seem to be similar to the sit...

Your symptoms seem to be similar to the situation where the linkage between the shifter handle and the transmission range selector may be loose or broken. In this event it may seem like the transmission range selections don’t match up like they used to. The vehicle will only start in park or neutral and the computer sees the selected range as neither, so the vehicle will not start. Since you can’t get the car started, hire one of our mobile experts to take a look to see if a broken connection or failing sensor is responsible for your starting issue.