Engine wont reach operating temperature c10 thermostats v...

Q: Engine wont reach operating temperature

asked by on November 30, 2016

Only gets to 180 and only after running for 35 45 min. Temp outside is around 35 outside 40. I have flushed the system and replace everything possible. I haven't tried cardboard on the radiator yet. but everthing else any ideas other than cardboard sstraed to the front. Its a nice truck in great mechanical condition my daily driver and i cant figure this one out. Thanks

The first thing to check is to see if the cooling fan clutch is working properly. Start the engine when it is cold and rev the engine up to 1500 rpm and listen to the cooling fan to see if it is making a roaring noise indicating it is locked up all the time. Shut off engine in about 30 seconds and then spin the cooling fan by hand. The fan should spin pretty free all the way around or the fan clutch may be keeping fan engaged all the time. Replace fan clutch if it does not pass the tests. If fan clutch is working okay then you most likely have a stuck open thermostat. You should have a mechanic like one from YourMechanic replace thermostat and fan clutch.