I have a 2012 Dodge journey and the key [battery](/topics...

I have a 2012 Dodge journey and the key [battery](/topics-battery-dodge/) was low so I changed it and now it won't work Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter? It's now the c...

I have a 2012 Dodge journey and the key [battery](/topics-battery-dodge/) was low so I changed it and now it won't work Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter? It's now the car battery but the one for my key fob. It's the push start no ignition for a key Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far? I replaced the battery and put the key fob back together. Tried to reprogram it and it worked until I went to unlock it to go to work and now it won't work at all Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you? I just need to know how to fix it so I can get in my vehicle to go to work

Automotive Expert
Hi! My name is \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* I will be able to assist you. I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. If you use the mechanical key to unlock the door and get inside the vehicle, does the vehicle start up?
Automotive Expert
IF the vehicle doesn't start then your vehicle battery may be dead. Try to jump start it with another vehicle or jumper box. If this doesn't work then you may need to replace the battery. It should have 12.5 volts so if you have a voltmeter then I would check it. If the battery is not the problem and you have a second key, try that key. IF that doesn't work then you will need to check the anti theft system. This will require a scan tool.

It's NOT the car battery. I had to change the battery in my key fob and now I can't get it to reprogram
Automotive Expert
I understand what you said. The remote shouldn't need to be reprogrammed. Changing the battery in the key does not reset the key. No programming is needed.

But it doesn't have an ignition for a key. It's a push start only. It won't let me lock or unlock it and it's not registering the key being in the vehicle
Automotive Expert
There is a mechanical key in the key fob. Use it to lock/unlock the driver door. You will also need to check the vehicle battery. If nothing is working then the vehicle battery may be discharged.