Q: Car losses power when I turn the wheel

This happens at only lower speeds while driving in town: when I turn the wheel the power diminishes. It's like everything that's electrical dies and all the dash lights and radio go out, and I lose power steering. But then all is fine when I turn the wheel back to straight forward. What causes this and what should I do to get it fixed?

Your vehicle does not use a traditional hydraulic power steering system. Instead, it is equipped with electronic power steering. In this system, torque is generated through an electric motor. The power steering electronic control unit (ECU) receives input from several sensors and, in turn, uses this information to control the motor. The power steering ECU also talks with other ECUs over the communication network, including the engine control module (ECM) and skid control ECU.

My guess is that your problem lies somewhere in this system. However, the failure could be something more basic, too. It could be that wiring or something is getting caught on the steering column when you turn it. Having a professional diagnose your loss of power problem would be my recommendation. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we come to your location.

3. Car losses power when I turn the wheel