Q: Replacing timing belt on a 2001 Ford Escape

2001 Ford Escape 2 L, manual transmission, 83,000 miles. I was told the timing belt needs to be changed at 120,000 miles. Is this an interference engine and should I change it sooner?

A: Yes it is and you should change it right aw...

Yes it is and you should change it right away, because mileage is mileage and time is time. That baby is 15 years old. They tell you that you are supposed to change the belts and they are only good for about six years. You are lucky it hasn’t broken and you’d want to change it right away so you don’t have problems. If you are not inclined to do it yourself, get in touch with the technicians from YourMechanic. They will be able to replace your timing belt for you.