Engine occasionally cuts out while idling at a stoplight ...

Q: Engine occasionally cuts out while idling at a stoplight and occasionally hesitates and bucks upon acceleration.

asked by on February 17, 2017

the engine will occasionally shut off if I am idling at a stoplight or in a drive through. Also, it occasionally hesitates and then surges or 'bucks' upon accelerating from a stop. The engine always starts back up. I have also noticed that it will sometimes hesitate to start if (for example) I have driven to the store,gone inside for a few minutes and then upon starting it again to leave.it hesitates to start. I am wondering what could be causing these symptoms. there are no check engine lights .

There is a issue with the fuel delivery to your engine. It seems as the fuel pump may be failing. Check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail and see if there is at least 30 psi. If the fuel pressure is low when the engine is revved up, then the fuel pump is not producing enough flow to keep up with the demand. If there is pressure, then the fuel pressure regulator is not working. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your fuel system.