Q: 69 mach 1 428 fires in start position dies in run position, runs with jumper wire to + side of coil

Motor fires and runs in start position, dies in run position, runs with jumper wire To pos. Side of coil. Ignition switch checks OK, 7 volts in run position at coil, checked points, coil bad?

It could be that you need to replace the breaker points. Many of the older cars had a ballast resistor built into the ignition circuit to lower the voltage to the points. Often the Ignition switch was wired to bypass the resistor in the start position to get a little more energy when starting. And when you hot wire the coil you are also bypassing the resistor. So it could be that the points are just dirty enough that they need the extra voltage to make contact. Open up the distributor and have a look. If you decide you want to delegate this work, you can contact Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your classic Mustang and let you know just what it is going to take to fix it.

• 69 mach 1 428 fires in start position dies in run position, runs with jumper wire to + side of coil