Q: ABS and brake lights flashing

I was a little freaked out today when my ABS Light came on and the brake light started flashing while I was driving. What causes these lights to come on?

This indicates there is a problem in the anti-lock braking (ABS) system. In this system, the ABS control module monitors wheel speed via sensors. If, from the sensor signals, the module determines wheel lockup is about to take place, it will issue commands to the modulator. The modulator will regulate fluid pressure to pulse the brakes and prevent wheel lock up.

The illuminated brake and ABS lights could indicate anything from a failed wheel speed sensor to a faulty ABS control module. Unfortunately, vehicles like yours are well known for ABS control module failures, so that would be my bet.

I suggest you have a trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, properly diagnose the ABS Light and recommend the best path to repair for your vehicle.