Q: 2003 Hyundai santa fe, automatic, When in reverse, there is a loud grinding noise, what is the issue?

asked by on July 25, 2017

When the car is in neutral, park, drive...the car runs fine. It's been a little louder than usual as if a new tail pipe has been put on but no modifications have been made. But when the car is in reverse either with the brake on or when applying gas it makes a loud grinding noise. The sound comes from where I can assume is under the car but that is no guarantee. Putting the car into another gear stops the noise but reverse makes it again no matter the scenario

Hi there. Usually when a grinding noise is occurring while only in reverse, it’s an indication of an inner reverse gear failure. It’s also common for a CV joint or inner axle shaft to make this type of noise when in reverse and in rare cases, a wheel bearing failure (when only in reverse). I would recommend having a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is making a noise inspection, so they can isolate the root source of the noise and recommend the right repairs.