Q: 2000 vw cabrio. How do I put tension on the power steering pump belt? Thanks

asked by on March 12, 2017

No power steering. Makes a lot of noise. Belt for power steering is loose. How do I put tension? Found 2 bolts, can't find another. Thanks

Steering wheel is hard to turn Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Your vehicle may be equipped with an automatic tensioner. If so, it will be assembly that is spring loaded and pivots to maintain a constant specified pressure on the belt. If it is so equipped, there might be a problem with tensioner although you’ll have to inspect the belt as well (check circumference against factory spec.). If there is no tensioner, you will see an adjusting bolt that allows the pump to pivot through a certain range of adjustment. If you want this inspected and resolved by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a power steering system inspection - suspected drive belt issue and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr