Q: Voyager turns over after overheating but won't start

Voyager overheated stopped let it cool off added coolant had trouble starting it got it home now it turns over but won't start but acts like it wants to.

Overheating can damage the engine coolant temperature sensor which is an important sensor at start up because it sends a signal to the PCM to enrich the mixture. Overheating can also damage the cooling system thermostat although a damaged thermostat will not prevent the car from starting. If the overheating was severe, among the first steps is to check engine compression because severe overheating can cause loss of compression and that will make it difficult to start the engine. You really have two issues: the first is to get the engine running and for that, the recommended service is a no start diagnostic and the second is to diagnose and repair the cause of the overheating. Some common causes of overheating include a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket or poor engine running condition can also cause overheating. To obtain a diagnostic of the overheating, please request an engine overheating diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.