Q: 1998 nissan maxima wont stay running

asked by on May 08, 2017

When I start the car it runs for about 1-2 minutes. It then cuts off. It acts as if it was starved for gas. It will start again over and over but will not run for more than a few minutes. Shifting through gears does not increase it's running time either. I have replaced the cam and crank sensors, however it seems the fuel pump sprays initially to start but will not continue spraying, to keep the car running. If there's a short in the wiring where is it, because something signal is not present to tell the fuel pump to continue pumping? Nissan's are peculiar about their programming functions so, I don't know where to go from here. I have chased component after component, it's not the fuel pump itself. I know the cam or crank should send that signal but is there something else between those, and does aftermarket really effect the tolerance?

Hello, thank you for writing in. When dealing with this type of issue, start simple. For example, you should have the vehicle scanned for diagnostic codes. Even without a check engine light on, there may be codes present that relate to your problems. It can be done quickly by a technician, or at most automotive parts stores. If there is a ground issue, it will likely show as a code in the scan. With no codes present to guide you, it is a process of elimination. Airflow sensors, the gas recirculation system, and vacuum supply should all be tested as well if needed. If you know for a fact the fuel supply is cutting out, you need to look into the fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, and filter. For more help with testing and making the repairs, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr