Q: wont shift into 3rd gear

asked by on April 15, 2016

My transmission will shift in first and second gear but wont go into 3rd it seems like it goes into neutral when it's ready to shift into 3rd

Transmission Fluid Service $125.08 - $440.73 Get a Quote

At this age of the car, you will likely need a transmission rebuild. The bands that wrap abound the planetary gear assembly typically crack.

Of course, checking the transmission fluid level and condition of the car while running in park is the first step. It should be pink in color and be to the top of the hatch-marks on the stick.

Afterwards, I would suspect a complete rebuild by a transmission specialist. Typically, this includes a throttle body rebuild with new solenoids and band replacement with an inspection of the planetary gear assembly. Sometimes a rebuild unit is more affordable.

I would refer you to a local transmission shop. This is not an easy repair if you find that your transmission fluid is correct.