Q: Windows open during storm & caused multiple problems

Last week I had left the windows open in my SUV during a huge storm. A few minutes after I started my vehicle, the windshield wipers went wild. They had turned on by themselves. Then, the ignition light turned on after a few more minutes. The next day, it was the tow haul light that turned on and then the check gauge light. There had been No problems before the storm so I'm assuming water got on the steering wheel and travelled through the system. Using a super chip, I plugged it in to diagnose the problem. There was a reading about the computer. Please give me your diagnosis of the problem and what I can do to fix it. Thank you.

It is very likely that the water ingress from the windows being open during the storm has caused these malfunctions. Yes, the wiper switch input from the steering wheel is a coded input to the wiper motor assembly, which does contain the processing electronics for the wipers.

Unfortunately, it will be hard to gauge if any damage to the vehicle electronics have occurred until the vehicle interior and and all the wiring is completely dried. If after the interior dries thoroughly, and the electronic system malfunctions are still occurring regularly, you may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the knowledge and tools necessary to diagnose and correct any electrical issues or warning lights.

3. Windows open during storm & caused multiple problems